The interest to the safeguard of the scientific patrimony of the faculty of Engineering in Palermo has paid the attention on the necessity to propose a regional interest museum system: The technique and engineering museum. The realization of a scientific and technical museum, lacking in Sicily, would allow Palermo to reach other Italian towns as Milan, Pisa, Florence, Naples just provided with such kind of museum. A suitable seat for the museum installation has been found in the area of the Lolli ex station, just cast off by original activities. These areas are often destined to such purpose, either because have dimensional qualifications or because guarantee a reasonable consistency between contained material and environment that contains it. The Lolli ex station assumes, today, due to the closeness to intense turist flow zones, an important position inside the urban texture. It was risen, in fact, on the edge of the suburbs; with the nineteenth-century town expansion, it was absorbed inside one of the most central areas. Together with the project of a scientific and technical museum turned to the exploitation of the University collections, the project foresees the reconversion to cultural use of an actually cast off area and the requalification of that urban territory. The museum would keep an immense patrimony made of beyond 2000 specimens, divided in objects at real scale and models, actually arranged in the various Departments of the Faculty of Engineering, collected from the birth of the Superior School for Engineers and Architects in Palermo in 1865. The collections tell the history of the scientific and technological evolution in different ways, from the models witnessing constructive techniques kept in the Project and Civil Construction Department, to the tools for surveying and drawing (Representation Department), from the current measurement devices (ammeters, voltmeters, tachometers, etc) to the hydraulic ones (manometers, back-sights, etc), from metallurgy to the first aerial engines, rarities in their kind, as the G59 aeroplane, still existing 1948 two-seater model of the Italian Air Force. Besides, the museum could lodge documentation of industrial activity developed in the island and dispersed in several other sites (yard naval, ex Ducrot establishments, etc). The scientific and technical patrimony of the Faculty of Engineering, kept by the several departments in a fragmentary way, recognized the value as good to protect and exploite, needs a suitable place to be gathered, arranged and inspected to diffuse the scientific culture.

Studies for a museum of history, engineering and technique

BASIRICO', TIZIANA
2005

Abstract

The interest to the safeguard of the scientific patrimony of the faculty of Engineering in Palermo has paid the attention on the necessity to propose a regional interest museum system: The technique and engineering museum. The realization of a scientific and technical museum, lacking in Sicily, would allow Palermo to reach other Italian towns as Milan, Pisa, Florence, Naples just provided with such kind of museum. A suitable seat for the museum installation has been found in the area of the Lolli ex station, just cast off by original activities. These areas are often destined to such purpose, either because have dimensional qualifications or because guarantee a reasonable consistency between contained material and environment that contains it. The Lolli ex station assumes, today, due to the closeness to intense turist flow zones, an important position inside the urban texture. It was risen, in fact, on the edge of the suburbs; with the nineteenth-century town expansion, it was absorbed inside one of the most central areas. Together with the project of a scientific and technical museum turned to the exploitation of the University collections, the project foresees the reconversion to cultural use of an actually cast off area and the requalification of that urban territory. The museum would keep an immense patrimony made of beyond 2000 specimens, divided in objects at real scale and models, actually arranged in the various Departments of the Faculty of Engineering, collected from the birth of the Superior School for Engineers and Architects in Palermo in 1865. The collections tell the history of the scientific and technological evolution in different ways, from the models witnessing constructive techniques kept in the Project and Civil Construction Department, to the tools for surveying and drawing (Representation Department), from the current measurement devices (ammeters, voltmeters, tachometers, etc) to the hydraulic ones (manometers, back-sights, etc), from metallurgy to the first aerial engines, rarities in their kind, as the G59 aeroplane, still existing 1948 two-seater model of the Italian Air Force. Besides, the museum could lodge documentation of industrial activity developed in the island and dispersed in several other sites (yard naval, ex Ducrot establishments, etc). The scientific and technical patrimony of the Faculty of Engineering, kept by the several departments in a fragmentary way, recognized the value as good to protect and exploite, needs a suitable place to be gathered, arranged and inspected to diffuse the scientific culture.
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11387/22955
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus ND
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? ND
social impact