The Church of Santa Croce (Holy Cross), a small Romanesque chapel with a quadrilobate plan located in the historical center of Bergamo Alta (Upper Town), is part of a centuries-old context, which has recently unveiled important archaeological remains. Probably upraised in 1561, further modified in the 18th century and incorporated into residential buildings, the temple and its surrounding became an integral part of the famous recovery plan conceived by Luigi Angelini in the 30s of the 20th century. The interventions gave back the church to the city, freeing it from the additions that prevented its complete understanding and allowed to open the monument to the public enjoyment. However, in the early 2000 years, new investigations completely overturned the area, transforming it in an almost inaccessible and isolated place. Recently, a project intends to give new life to the site, inserting it within a museum path that will allow improving its accessibility and usability.
|Titolo:||‘Santa Croce' chapel in Bergamo: old restorations and new layouts|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2021|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||2.1 Contributo in volume (Capitolo o Saggio)|